What Is Causing My Bad Breath?April 28, 2023 12:55 pm
Do you suffer from bad breath that you can’t seem to get rid of? Halitosis is the medical term for chronic bad breath. It is characterized by an unpleasant odor in the mouth and can be caused by a wide variety of factors. When left untreated, halitosis can negatively impact your quality of life.
There are many factors that can contribute to halitosis. The best way to treat your halitosis is to work with your dental professional to get down to its root cause. Some of the most common causes of halitosis are:
- Dry Mouth – Saliva is a natural cleanser that helps wash away bad bacteria and food debris. Without proper saliva levels, bacteria and debris will start to create an odor in your mouth.
- Gum Disease – Gum disease is characterized by inflammation and infection in the gumline. Infected gums can cause your breath to have an unpleasant odor.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – One of the most common causes of halitosis is failing to maintain a proper oral hygiene routine. Brushing twice a day and flossing every day are the best ways to tackle your bad breath.
- Low-Carbohydrate Diets – Low-carb diets can cause bad breath if the body burns too much fat for fuel instead of carbs.
- Medical Conditions – Certain medical conditions can have an impact on your breath, including diabetes, sinus infections, liver or kidney disease, and respiratory infections.
- Smoking – Smoking leaves lingering chemicals in your mouth and throat that smell bad. These chemicals also increase your risk of dry mouth, gum disease, and tooth decay.
Bad Breath Treatment in Wynne, AR
At Toland Dental, we don’t want anyone to feel anxious, embarrassed, or isolated because of their breath. Our team provides one-on-one consultations and exams to determine the cause of your halitosis. Once we diagnose your halitosis, we can create a customized treatment plan to improve your breath and your oral health. Please contact us to schedule your consultation!
Categorised in: Oral Health